Ads Blocker Image Powered by Code Help Pro

Ads Blocker Detected!!!

We have detected that you are using extensions to block ads.This might just be false alarm but we put so much effort into getting free contents for you. Please support us by disabling these ads blockers.

Home Education

NUGS Petitions Parliament to Uncap GETFund and Prioritize Education Funding

NUGS President, Mr. Dennis Appiah Larbi Ampofo interacting with the Media
NUGS President, Mr. Dennis Appiah Larbi Ampofo interacting with the Media

The National Union of Ghana Students (NUGS) has taken a stand to protest against the Ghana Education Trust Fund (GETFund) being capped.

The union believes that this will reduce the amount of funding that is available for education, which has already been decreasing in recent years.

Led by NUGS President, Mr. Dennis Appiah Larbi Ampofo, the petitioners gathered in front of Parliament’s ceremonial gate, holding placards to voice their concerns. They then presented the petition to the Education Committee of the House.

Mr. Ampofo urged Parliament to uncap the GETFund to ensure that funds are available for education in the country.

The Chairman of the Education Committee, Hon. Kwabena Amankwa Asiamah, and Hon. Peter Nortsu-Kotoe, the Ranking Member, received the petition and assured the petitioners that the committee would do everything in their power to ensure that the GETFund is uncapped and that the funds are used for education.

The union was also joined by Civil Society Organisations, led by the Africa Education Watch.

The NUGS is calling for the Ministry of Finance to stop implementing the GETFUND formula for this year, as only 39% of the GETFUND levy is allocated to the fund, with the remaining 61% being diverted into other areas.

NUGS is a democratic, non-partisan, and progressive mass movement of students, with the aim of protecting the interests of all Ghanaian students, both home and abroad.

The union is committed to advocating for the inculcation of a high degree of patriotism and nationalism in students to prepare them adequately for the future of the country.

The union’s petition to Parliament serves as a reminder that education is a vital investment in the future of Ghana, and adequate funding is essential for the country’s growth and development.

5 1 vote
Article Rating
Notify of

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Never lose any important information
Stay up to date
Overlay Image
Never miss anything important
Stay Up to date
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x